Kolkata Metro Railway will now use Composite Aluminium Third Rail
The first metro system in India, the Kolkata Metro Railway, which was opened on October 24, 1984, has been an essential lifeline for the city of Kolkata for almost 40 years.
The metro system is powered by 750V DC delivered through a steel third rail to the metro train vehicles. To collect current from this third rail, the steel Third Rail Current Collector (TRCC) is mounted on the metro train vehicles.
The steel third rail technology has been used by Kolkata Metro Railway for the past 40 years. However, Kolkata Metro Railway has chosen to use composite aluminium third rail technology for all of its planned, under-construction corridors as part of its ongoing expansion initiatives. The railway also intends to retrofit the new aluminium third rails into the existing lines that now employ steel third rails.
Metro Railway Kolkata has started the process of replacing the outdated steel third rail with the more modern composite aluminium third rail technology, which is a crucial step in upgrading the infrastructure.
· The railway has released a tender for the replacement work to ease this transition.
· Multiple phases of the replacement process will be carried out to cover various metro line segments.
· The replacement work for the segment between Dumdum and Shyambazar will be done in the first phase.
· The replacement of the third rail between Shyambazar and Central, as well as from J D Park to Tollygunge, will thereafter form part of the second phase.
· The portion from Mahanayak Uttam Kumar in Tollygunge to Kavi Subhash in New Garia will be replaced in the third phase.
· The steel third rail on the main line will be gradually replaced across a distance of over 35 route km, constituting a huge effort to update Kolkata's metro system.
Kolkata will join a limited group of worldwide cities that have already switched from steel to aluminium third rails in their metro systems, including London, Moscow, Berlin, Munich, and Istanbul.
For any clarification, you may contact us at any time.
Educational Counsellor: 7418968881
Customer Support: 7418978881
Enrol Now for Fresh Batch in UPSC | TNPSC | BANK | SSC | RRB | POLICE | TNTET | CTET | NDA| CDS | AFCAT | DEFENCE | TANCET | CAT | MAT | ZAT EXAMS.
Call Admission Desk: 7418968881
Book Free Demo Class Now !
Batches available in ONLINE & OFFLINE