WELFARE OF SCHEDULED CASTE AND SCHEDULED TRIBES
· The constitution contains several provisions in the nature of safeguards of SCs and STs.
· In pursuance of Article 17 of the constitution, the Untouchability offences Act, 1955 was enacted.
· It was amended and renamed as Protection of Civil Rights Act 1977. The Act applicable to the whole of the country and provides punishment for the practice of untouchability in any form.
SCs AND STs (PREVENTION OF ATROCITIES) ACT of 1989:
· This act came into force in 1990.
· This act aims at preventing of offences by persons against SCs and STs.
· According to this Act,
· 1) The initial enquiry shall not be required for filing of a First Information Report (FIR) against any person.
· 2) The investigating officer has not required any approval for arrest, if necessity of any person, against who committed crime.
NATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SCHEDULED CASTE:
· National Commission for SCs and STs was set up under Article 383 of the constitution.
· It was bifurcated into two commissions namely National Commission for SCs and National Commission for STs after the 89th Constitutional Amendment Act 2003.
· These two commissions help the SC and ST people who were affected by the activities of government individuals.
Buy Online Live Classes, Book Free Demo Class Now,